Dental crowns can restore a chipped, broken, missing tooth with a natural-looking replacement. A crown can strengthen a tooth with a large filling – often in just one appointment.
Reasons for Dental Crowns
A severely damaged tooth isn’t the only reason most dentists recommend getting a crown. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), “A crown can help strengthen a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining to hold the filling. Crowns can also be used to attach bridges, protect a weak tooth from breaking or restore one that’s already broken. A crown is a good way to cover teeth that are discolored or badly shaped. It’s also used to cover a dental implant.”
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Since dental crowns are made from extremely durable material, they usually last for many years. That’s good news for your oral health, as getting a crown may prevent a more severe problem in the future. They also require minimal changes to your dental hygiene habits. Best of all, since most insurance companies cover them, they’re affordable.
The Dental Crown Process
There is usually little or no pain involved in getting a dental crown and it’s a fairly simple process. Here is the basic procedure for dental crowns:
1. Your dentist conducts a consultation and examination of your mouth.
2. After anesthesia, your tooth is filed down to make room for the crown.
3. An impression of your tooth will be used to place a temporary crown.
4. The same impression is sent over to a lab for manufacturing and shading.
5. You go back to the dental office to receive your permanent crown.
If you’d like to schedule a dental crown consult in Las Vegas, contact us today.